Thursday, February 23, 2017

Did They/I Really Say That?


I have finally come to the conclusion that God created chocolate specifically for all ministers’ wives.  I also believe that each one of us should carry a concealed five-pound bag of Peanut M & M’s in our purses in case of emergencies.  Why, you ask?  Instead of our mouths hanging open in shock at someone’s comment, we simply unzip our purse, reach inside the M & M bag, grab a handful of “nerve pills,” and pop them in our mouths. It serves two purposes.  First, it makes it look like we are unaffected by the comment.  Second, it keeps us from saying something we will regret later.

Over the past several months, I have had more than one minister’s wife share statements that have been made to her or to her husband that are simply appalling.  I personally have heard such comments made either to one our staff or before our church.  These commitments left my mouth hanging wide open and thinking to myself, “Did they really say that?”  Seriously, if a person were in the cooperate world and made these statements to the CEO, they would be immediately fired. 

One such comment I heard occurred at a quarterly business meeting where the new church budget was being discussed.  Now three words in that previous statement-budget and business meeting-should dredge up some memories of your own church business meetings.

Everything was flowing smoothly during this meeting until the line item regarding the church building debt payment came up.  Yes, it is a large debt but our church is very diligent to pay over and beyond the required note payment.  An older gentleman stood up and made a fair observation of the debt amount.  Then without any reservation and in a rather loud, harsh voice, the gentleman made a motion that our church should stop all ministry until the debt was completely paid off.  Yes, everything!  No youth, children, Sunday School, VBS, mission trips, etc.  He literally wanted to stop God’s work.

Thankfully, the other members of our congregation shut this motion down and we are still doing ministry.  However, the thought that someone, who claims to be a Christ follower, was so focused on the building debt that he totally missed God’s purpose for the church-to do ministry which leads people to Christ.

Sisters, I really do not believe this man fully thought through what he was saying.  However, I do believe he felt so strongly about the issue that he blurted out the first thought that came to his mind.  But isn’t that what we do to?  

Sometimes I open my mouth and say things that are not thoroughly processed.  I speak the truth and call it as I see it.  Many times, I may not have all the facts but my sinful nature takes over.  One friend was described me as “salty sunshine” meaning that I always smile when expressing my opinion about an issue I am passionate about.  Sometimes I catch myself after I have expressed my opinion, and I must go back and apologize or clear the air.  Don’t’ you just hate that?


We all need to remember the words in Colossians 3:17 which states, “Any whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.”  We should never leave other people with their mouths open in shock thinking, “Did she really say that?”

No comments: