Thursday, October 30, 2008

Facebook Memories


I don't know if you have discovered Facebook yet, but I finally succumbed to the pressure and joined the online networking community last week. A bunch of our friends had and everyone kept saying that "you really ought to." So in an effort to stay connected to a friend that recently moved out-of-state, I signed up. It was quick and easy. No pain involved and it was surprisingly fast. 

Literally, within a matter of minutes I was in touch with friends and acquaintances that I had known 20+ years ago. High school buddies, youth group friends, sorority sisters were all easily and quickly reconnected with. Everyone lists as much or as little information about themselves as they want and I was quickly able to ascertain who was married, who had kids, and other general information. The pictures many of them included were the best. I could see how much, or how little people had changed. I could see pictures of their kiddos and have a way to instantly be back in touch with them. 

Before I knew it, an hour and half had slipped by. I had learned that my former pastor's son had married a Rockette, my college roommate still had her wacky sense of humor and that my prom date was now a married engineer living on the west coast. Many people had placed old photos online and I found myself remembering nights and events and places and people that I had once thought I would never need to be reminded of.

I have to wonder what people have thought when they have clicked on my "wall." Do they think that I've changed? Am I the same old Tara? How do they remember me? Am I what they expected?

Some of my old friends are exactly as I would have expected. Many are not. There are a few of my college friends that I never imagined would be the stay-at-home moms that they are. There are a few people that I thought would have been married with kids by now and they aren't. There are various political views expressed. There are various religious affiliations. There are differences in all of us from the people that we once were. 

It has been great to reconnect with many of these people. There have been a couple renewed friendships that I intend to keep up with. The computer (and Facebook) make it so easy, I don't see how I can blow it this time. . . . I also want to be sure and pray for these old friends that God has brought into my life again. He has dealt with each of us differently and we have all responded to Him in our own ways. I am so thankful that my journey has been what it has been and that God has brought me to the place He has today. 

Any of you out there have accounts on Facebook? What have your experiences been? Thinking about signing up? It has been a blessing so far for me. If you're on, look me up! Here is my profile picture, and let me know you are from this blog when you send me your friend request!

No comments: