Thursday, October 8, 2009

Ladies Ministry

Last week we kicked off our Ladies Ministry Year with a Ladies Night Out we entitled "Where are your shoes taking you?" The Committee had such a good time putting this together. The centerpieces on the tables were different shoes showing where we go as ladies. There was one with boots to go hiking, bathroom slippers, heels, slides, flip flops, even Cinderella's glass slipper. It turned out to be a really cute theme.

That night a young girl came that doesn't normally get to attend because of her work. She had just told me the day before that she had been dating a nice guy for about 3 months. She is a single mom with a 3 year old little boy. The father is in prison in Florida. She is trying to get her life in order and is wanting to come to church. However, she is not always able to because she also works on Sunday. Anyway, she was excited about coming to the Ladies event.

At our Ladies Night Out the speaker kept referring back to where God would have us go in our shoes. Ultimately, He wants our shoes to take us to Him. It was a wonderful message.

The next day, the young man this girl was dating broke up with her. She was very hurt but instead of being angry, she was seeking God in it. That night, her mom took her out to eat to get her mind off of things, and the girl told her mom that she wanted to go buy a new pair of shoes. I saw her the next day and she told me what happened about the break up. Then she asked if I had noticed that she was wearing new shoes. I told her how cute they were and she looked at me kind of funny. Then it hit me...God was speaking to her heart through those shoes!!! She said with tears in her eyes, "I wonder where God is going to take me in these shoes?"

My heart broke and rejoiced at the same time. I hate she is having to go through this, but I know that the Lord is using it to pull her closer to Him. I was so excited that God used that night for the very reason we worked so hard to put it together...to speak to the hearts of the women that were there.

Sometimes we don't always know what God is up to when we are being obedient and doing what He has called us to do. But that night, it was a sweet affirmation that God uses ordinary people to do extraordinary things!

1 comment:

Lynn J. said...

Jeanne, it is something how a pair of shoes can speak to our hearts. It can have a new outlook on life. A "new beginning" as for this young girl. I pray that I will always have this "new" outlook on my life with My Lord leading the way.
Lynn J.
Flewellyn Baptist