Thursday, October 15, 2009

Old Testament Memories

Psalm 145:4 (New American Standard Bible)


One generation shall praise Your works to another,
And shall declare Your mighty acts.

Recently, I began working with a group of very talented preschool teachers at church. Shortly there after, I read the above verse in my quiet time and a profound truth really hit home.

We have the honor, the privilege and the responsibility to tell the next generation of all the works that God has done.

I used this verse to encourage these teachers. Most of them have many years of preschool teaching experience. All of them are very familiar with the Bible stories that we share with the children. But I wonder how many of them are still marveled by the miracles that we share with the children.

How about you? Have you become too lax about the amazing stories of the Old Testament? Has the wonder and awe of His mighty acts passed you by?

As I have mentioned, I was raised in church and have been very familiar with the stories of the Bible for all of my life. I can't remember a time when I wasn't aware of God's works. Unfortunately, that familiarity can breed a lack of praise within my worship.

It isn't that I don't worship or that my praise is shallow, but when I worship with the recognition that I am worshiping the same God of Moses and David there is a whole new dimension of adoration to my praise.

Give it a try. The next time you begin to actively engaged in worship remember that you are praising the God that parted the Red Sea. Have you checked out on a map just how big that body of water is? He is pretty amazing, isn't He?

No comments: