Friday, November 18, 2011

Addiction

My dear, close friend just found out that her beautiful, talented, young adult daughter is dead. She was in treatment and close to the end of fighting a very long and difficult battle as a heroin addict. From all indications, she had beaten the disease. She was free. Free, that is, until her roommates found her face down in the bathtub full of water. Was it suicide? Overdose? To her parents and those who loved her….the answer to that question is futile. She is gone.

Her Godly parents are devastated. Grief stricken. Overcome. And, as my friend says, she is “living her worst nightmare”.

We have been friends since before high school. There are seven of us who have been friends since then and we get together at least once a year even though we are miles apart. They are all in Texas and I am in Indiana. My heart grieves and it is almost unbearable for me to be so far away….unable to give her a hug. Cry with her. Clean her bathrooms. You know, do the things we do.

Do you ever feel so inadequate to know what to do? What to say? How to help? After all….of the seven, I am the only pastor’s wife. I should be the “one” to know just what to do and say. Yet, I am speechless and immobile.

Do you ever feel the pressure to know what to do? Have all the answers? Just because you are the minister’s wife? As I have pondered this thought….God reminded me that of course, I don’t have to have all the answers. It is not my job to make everything “OK”. That is His job. BUT, He admonished me to remember what I said in the last post about spending time in the Word. It is important for me, yes!! But….so often when I am sitting at His feet and He is teaching me precious Truths….it is not only for me but He also will give it to me to give to someone else.

How thankful I am for His Word. I shared Psalm 94:17-19 with her this morning and I would encourage you to read it. Are you also dealing with a child who is an addict? A loved one? A friend? You? I am praying for you.

4 comments:

Johanna said...

I am not a minister's wife, but I really like your blog.Hope that's ok. Right now I'm struggling so much in my life. I have problems I don't know how to handle. I feel like I'm going in circles. I don't have the answers and wonder if I ever will.
I'm so sorry for your friend's loss and your inability to be there.

Tonya said...

I totally agree that as pastor's/minister's wives we are expected to know the right things to say. I also agree that as we spend time in God's Word and at His feet, He will teach us how to encourage others and to encourage ourselves. There have been so many times that the Scriptures have ministered to my heart. Also,I am sorry for your friend's lost.

Dana said...

JoHanna....I am sorry I am just now seeing your comment. YES!! You are MORE than welcome to be a part of this!! PLEASE know that I would LOVE to talk to you if you want. You can contact me at jgang@aeneas.net and we can go from there.

Dana said...

JoHanna....I am sorry I am just now seeing your comment. YES!! You are MORE than welcome to be a part of this!! PLEASE know that I would LOVE to talk to you if you want. You can contact me at jgang@aeneas.net and we can go from there.