Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Lullaby Language of Long Ago-Away in a Manger


As I said the other day, we are preparing our home for Christmas in a big way.  There is much excitement in the house as well because our new grandson, Gideon, is coming for his first visit.  The tree is up, lights adore the outside of the home, a few gifts are under the tree, and although Gideon is not on solid foods yet, I am getting ready to do the holiday all-things-chocolate baking.  In addition, the extended family is coming in for the big visit as well. 

However, with all the commercial Christmas doings going on in my home, I want to begin teaching Gideon the true meaning of the season.  I want him to know that it is not about the gifts and the decorations.  I want him to know that Christmas should be celebrated all year because the birth of Jesus long ago in a manger.

I remember as a little girl that we had a very special nativity given to us by a relative.  Each year Mom would unpack this special treasure and place it in a prominent place in our home.  The manger was actually a music box.  My brother and I would take turns winding the knob in order to hear the carol “Away in a Manger.”  As a family we would sit and listen to the Christmas story read from the Bible.  We decided in our later years to not place baby Jesus in the manger until Christmas Eve night, but we always turned the knob to hear one of our favorite carols.  

This year is a little different.  Mom is celebrating Christmas with her Savior.  Dad now resides in a nursing home.  Our manger set is packed away somewhere at our parents home.  However, one day soon I plan to make the trip back home to retrieve this special treasure.

Although we do not have the manger set with us this year, we do have our Savior.  He is not in hiding.  He is alive and well.  When my sweet grandson wakes in the early hours of the morning, I plan to rock our special treasure from God and softly sing “Away in a Manger” and tell him of the true meaning of Christmas.

No comments: