Monday, December 17, 2012

Lullaby Language of Long Ago-Sweet Little Jesus Boy


In a few days there will some lullabies floating in the air of our home.  Our grandson, along with his mommy (our son is deployed overseas this Christmas season), is making his first visit to our home.  We are beyond excited and filled with anticipation for his arrive.  While we are excited about Gideon coming, I feel that Mary and Joseph were filled with anticipation at the arrival of their son, Jesus.  He would not be an ordinary child.  He was God incarnate.  However, I am sure that once Jesus arrived, Mary sang him to sleep with sweet lullabies.

Over the years many Christmas carols have graced the stages of concert halls and church auditoriums.  There are a few carols that actually bring tears to my eyes and bring memories flooding to my mind.  If you would allow me, I would like to share a couple of my favorite carols with you this week.

Sweet Little Jesus Boy, composed by Robert MacGimsey in 1934, is not a very common carol sung in churches today.  I first discovered this sweet song when my husband was in seminary and I was taking a vocal music class. The professor made assignments for our final and I was given this spiritual to perform acappella. 

Since I had no history of this piece I did a bit of research and discovered that although the song was written by a Caucasian man in the early 1900s, it depicted the sound and plight of the African American slave.  This song is filled with emotion.   This spiritual rings with hope, not just for the slave, but for a lost world.

At Christmas I often find myself humming or softly singing the words around the house as I prepare for the Christmas season.  Just the other day I was setting out our nativity and began thinking of that first holy night so long ago.

I wonder if Mary had prepared the manger bed with fresh hay for her soon coming child.  I wonder if her child birth pains were great or if she was at complete peace in knowing she was giving birth to the Savior of the world.  What did Mary do when she first heard her newborn son cry?  Did she sigh and smile?  Was she awestruck when she looked in the eyes of her newborn son?  Or did she cuddle her baby close, kiss his forehead, and hum sweetly in his ear? 

What about Joseph? Was a scared earthly father?   Was he uncertain of what life would be like?  It would certainly change for them in the coming minutes.  Their son would be no ordinary baby.  He was the Living God come to save the world.  At the moment Jesus arrived, did Joseph fall to his knees weeping in holy worship? 

In anticipation for this Christmas season, I challenge you to find the words or listen to a recording of “Sweet Little Jesus Boy”.  Find a quiet spot, close your eyes, and really listen to the words.  Try to imagine what Mary and Joseph might have experienced.  Then, rediscover what Jesus really means to you.

 

No comments: