Saturday, April 20, 2013

He Never Changes

Recently, I had the privilege of leading the mid-week Bible study for our church's student ministry. Our student minister was in Louisville at class that day and he had given me the freedom to teach whatever I felt led to teach. After praying about it for a couple of days, I felt sure that I needed to share with the teenagers what God had been showing me. However, I did not want it to be about me. I wanted to them to see God and what He was doing.

After dividing them into teams, I set a timer and asked each team to list as many Old Testament miracles that they could remember. Then I challenged them to list as many New Testament miracles as they could think of as well. We looked up over 15 verses from both testaments that spoke of God's everlasting faithfulness and how He never changes.

During the course of our evening together, Blow-Pops and mini candy bars were won and eaten, but the point I prayed that each took home in the end, was that our same God is the same God who did all those miracles. I wanted each student to truly know and see Biblicaly that their God never changes and can be depended upon to keep His promises - that they can trust His word.

Near the end of the hour, I did share about James and how faithful God had been to me through the days and weeks that followed his death. I pray that could see how our God is really, truly there and that He is the same God that parted the Red Sea and brought Jesus back from the dead. THAT is the power that resides in us. THAT is the God we serve. He never changes.

Dear Sister, I have no idea what God is leading you through right now. Ministry may be hard. Your husband may seem distant. You may feel alone. On the contrary, things right now may be easy and you find yourself praising God for this time of rest. Regardless of what you may or may not be going through, rest in the knowledge, in the grace that our God never changes.

No comments: