Thursday, June 14, 2018

In Awe



I have always loved the story of Cinderella.  What little girl does not?  Cinderella goes from being a slave to her mean stepmother and stepsisters to being a princess and living in a beautiful castle. As a child, I dreamed of living in Cinderella’s castle.

Fast forward to when my children were preschoolers.  My in-laws took our family to Disney World in Florida.  We were so excited.  The boys wanted to meet Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck.  However, I was anticipating seeing Cinderella’s castle.

As we enter the gates of the theme park and made our way down the street, I was beyond excited.  Now understand, I was in my late twenties and giddy.  Suddenly, there in front of me was Cinderella’s castle.  I stopped in my tracks and literally started crying. I was in awe because the castle was everything I imagined it would be.  My little girl dream had been fulfilled in a small part. (Now, my husband and two little boys did not understand why I was bawling in the middle Disney World.  They were ready to hit the rides, but I just needed a moment to absorb the magic of my personal moment). 

 As I remembered this moment in my life, I began to wonder how often I have stood in awe of God.  Honestly, there are times when I do not look for his glory. I believe as ministers’ wives we often take for granted the “awe” moments that God shares with us.

Just the other day, I was suffering terribly with allergies.  My voice has been gone for a week and a half. I was on every medicine I can take and have had three rounds of steroids.  My doctor said there is nothing else he can do for me.  As I sat feeling hopeless on Friday night, God sent a friend over to visit.  While she was there a strong thunderstorm blew through. I did not think one thing about the storm.

The next morning my voice, although not strong, was back.  The air outdoors smelled clean and fresh.  The yellow haze of pollen had been washed away in the storm.  I stood in awe and praised God for his awesome power for something as small as the storm.

Here is another thought that has crossed my mind.  How often as believers to we take for granted that we have a heavenly home waiting for us? I know I do.  The Bible tries to describe what heaven will be like with streets of pure gold, jasper walls and crystal seas.  For me, it is too much for my earthly imagination.  My mind has designed a heaven like what might be experienced here on earth complete with a banquet table full of chocolate goodies.  However, our minds will never be able to grasp the splendor of our heavenly home until we see it for ourselves.

That is when we will truly STAND IN AWE IN THE PRESENCE OF OUR HEAVENLY FATHER.



No comments: