Tuesday, January 26, 2010

"Bondye pa Renmen Ayiti"

Tuesday afternoon, January 12, 2010 our son and daughter-in-law arrived in the Dominion Republic ready and excited to begin a new ministry there. As they were sitting in their unfamiliar housing, letting it all sink in that they have just left everything and moved to the DR, they were aware that something unusual, yet somewhat familiar was happening. The entire house was moving. At first Brandon thought he was going crazy and getting dizzy (he thought to himself, "I haven’t even drunk the water yet!"). They both have been in California when small earthquakes "hit" and immediately knew this was no small earthquake.

Like you, I have been in tears more times than I can count over the plight of the people in Haiti. Pictures of distraught children, stories of physical and emotional pain and survival have torn my heart apart.

“Bondye pa renmen Ayiti” (God doesn’t like Haiti) is the word on the street there. We know this is not true. In yesterday's USA Today a headline read, "they think God is mad at them". And my heart breaks.

I wonder, do we, like some of the people in Haiti, ever have this same thought? When things go"wrong" in our own lives or are difficult or hard, do we have a tendency to think that God is mad at me? Or, that He does not like me?

And, what do we do with all of the images that we are seeing and stories we are hearing and reading? Do we pray without ceasing for them? Do we give sacrificially to help? Do we go? Do we drop to our knees in repentance and humility over our own ungrateful hearts?

As I write this, I am back in TN doing some work in Memphis. I am in a hotel room propped up in a king size bed with pillows galore around me. I had a delicious meal and drove a car that I had no problem finding gas to fill up with. Bottom line. I have a roof over my head, food in my stomach and medicine for my cold. And today I am truly grateful. Overwhelmingly grateful. Convicted that so often I take for granted these seemingly insignificant luxuries in my life.

Oh, God, forgive me for my ungrateful heart. For not thanking You moment by moment for Your provisions!!

No comments: