Monday, July 12, 2010

Choices

I have to have choices. First, I am a female. Second, I am blonde. Third, choices just make life more fun. However, if you took me in a store full of delicious chocolate goodies, I would never be able to make up my mind. For example, my husband and I once went into a gourmet chocolate store in Brazil. Being the nice husband that he is, Ricky said, “Go ahead, pick out one and I’ll buy it for you.” Oh, the stress that simple decision put on me.

Well, life often presents us choices. You can either pay the bills or buy a luxury item. You can choose chicken or beef; to be in tune to God or tune Him out. Choices are just part of everyday life.

Recently, a gentleman in our church was presenting a bible study lesson and made a profound statement that captured my attention. We can choice to come to church or we can stay home and play. However, he took this statement one step further. People often will pay big bucks to attend a concert. They will buy the most expensive seats in the house and not think anything of it. However, when it comes to attending and being involved in church, many people will simply turn their backs even though our venue is free. People who do attend church service regularly will choose to sit in the middle or back, however, if they attend a concert, they want to get as close as possible.

I must say this discussion put a little guilt trip on me. When I am unable to sing in the choir, I tend to sit toward the back of the worship center. Don’t ask me why, I just do. However, I am going to attempt to get a more “expensive” seat not because I want to be seen but because Jesus made the choice to die for me.

No comments: