Friday, July 16, 2010

Out of the Mouth of Babes

Several years ago there was a show hosted by Bill Cosby where he posed questions to children. The children then responded to the question in typical kid style. Some of the answers were serious but many were hilarious.


This past Sunday I was asked to assist the candidates for baptism. I basically helped them get in the water and waited with a towel for them. While I was waiting for the service to begin, I was listening carefully to the conversations of our three candidates-two teenagers and an upcoming second grader. The teens were excited about their decision and couldn’t believe it had taken them so long to decide to accept Jesus. The teenage boy was so excited about his decision for Christ he was literally shaking with excitement. The teenage girl who is usually a quiet child was babbling unstop. I just smiled at their excitement.


The second grade boy, who was waiting, was being a typical little boy. He was wiggling, dancing, making boy noises and singing songs about Jesus. This little boy is precious and very intelligent. I absolutely love his energy. We began discussing different issues involving his baptism such as how deep water was and if the water was hot or cold. Then, he wanted to know if he could jump and swim to my pastor husband. My response was, “if you jump and swim, then water will get all in his waders and on his clothes.” “Well, how do you know that,” replied the boy. I laughed and said, “A little boy about your age tried it and that is what happened.”


Although he quieted for a moment, I could see this child’s brain working. Suddenly, without any warning, he asked in childlike innocence, “Can I pee in the baptismal pool?” Okay ladies, I just about laughed myself into tears. Between breaths I tried to become serious and replied, “Well, I don’t think that would be very appropriate since there is another person going to be baptized after you.” Unhindered by my answer, he shrugged his shoulders and stated, “Man, all they are going to do afterwards is let the water out anyway.” I threw the towel over my face to muffle my laughter once again.


Yes ladies, crazy things happen at church each week. The sound malfunctions, a Sunday School teacher does not show up and you must fill in at the last moment, and sometimes you get to bond with a little boy who is being baptized into the kingdom of God.

No comments: