Monday, June 10, 2013

Humble Servants

"Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, so that He may exalt you in due time."  1 Peter 5:6

Have you ever felt beat down and worn out by ministry?  Have you felt disappointed or angry with a certain member of your congregation or about a certain situation within the church?  Have you been attacked for your ministry?  Have you ever just wanted to throw in the towel, say "I quit" and then overdose on chocolate?  I certainly have, and I believe we can all honestly admit that we have at least thought these thoughts.

Personally, I have wanted to lash out so many times at hateful, evil people in the church, but God always restrains me.  Just last night I overheard a conversation in which one gentleman did not like any changes that were occurring within the church.  He was absolutely against any and everything even though the church body is excited about what God is doing.  I wanted so badly to remind this gentleman that God was in the process of doing something wonderful and exciting in our church.  However, God would not allow me to speak.  He reminded me that as ministers we are to be humble servants.  He reminded me that Jesus suffered great trials, frustrations, and at times was extremely heartbroken.  Hmm, I wonder if Jesus wanted to to quit and towel in the towel when He was being nailed to the cross.  Even if He did, I am so glad Him followed through on His final mission so that I could have eternal life.

Ladies, our families are called to the highest service-God's service.  You certainly do not go in to this line of work for money, fame, or even to please everyone.  Many times ministers and their families never receive a thank you for their work.  However, 1 Peter 5:6 reminds us that we are to be humble servants.   One day when we reach our eternal home, we will be exalted by the Creator Father God and be presented with riches and honor.

How are you being God's humble servant?

No comments: