Friday, June 21, 2013

Tell Yourself The Truth!

As ministry wives we often talk about how important it is for Believers to pay attention to who they are listening to.  We know it is vital to be sure we are seeking Godly counsel, Godly wisdom, Godly advice and that our family is doing the same thing.  We are diligent about making sure who our children and teens are hanging out with because we know how influenced they are by their peers.  We are careful about what we watch on TV, what radio stations we listen to, what teaching/preaching we are hearing to be sure it is Biblical. 

There is something that we listen to and believe that sneaks into our minds and totally miss it.  Ourselves!!!

What have you told yourself this past week/month/year?  Anything like…
·         I am a terrible ministers wife
·         I am a terrible mother
·         I don’t have any friends
·         My hair is too curly
·         My hair is too straight
·         I am too old
·         I am too young
·         It is my fault
·         My husband does not love me or he would….
·         I can’t teach
·         Everyone expects too much of me and I can’t do it all
·         They don’t like me
·         Everyone is talking bad about me or my husband or my kids
·         _____________

If you and I would stop and honestly take inventory of what we tell ourselves we might be amazed at how much of what we say is not true!!  Much of what we tell ourselves are lies and then we not only believe them, but we act on them!!

As I was reading through Psalm 119 the other day I came upon a verse that hit me straight in the face!!  Verse 29 says “Keep me from lying to myself; give me the privilege of knowing your law.”  What!!???  “Keep me from lying to myself”!!!???  Oh, my chili how I needed to hear that!!  I am FOREVER lying to myself and am convicted that I MUST begin to tell myself the Truth!!

Let me encourage you as well….listen to what you are saying to yourself….seek the Lord to determine what is Truth and what are Lies….then…..TELL YOURSELF THE TRUTH!!

Would you be willing to share with us some of the lies you tell yourself?  Perhaps it would help many of us see that we are telling ourselves the same things!!  Be free my friend!

No comments: