Thursday, October 30, 2014

Giving Grace to the Minister's Wife

I had a variety of ministers' wives as examples growing up.

As a result of my insecure, critical "old"self, I was pretty hard on these ladies. I had yet to walk in these ladies' shoes, yet I was very opinionated about their gait and stride.

In my youth, I really thought things were pretty black and white when it came to being a Christian and, especially when it came to being a minister's wife. I mean, how hard can it be?

Then I became one. Almost 16 years ago, I became the wife of a student minister, completely believing that I understood what I had gotten into. Plus, I was "in love" and totally blinded to what our reality would be. Can anyone relate?

Like I wrote earlier, just as God used time, age and experience to shape my views on mommy-hood, He has and is doing the same for me toward ministers' wives.

I am so very thankful that God has and continues to forgive me for my judgemental ways. He gently reminds me that each of us are on our own, individual, personal journey with Him. We all respond differently as He has shaped us through a variety of backgrounds and experiences. He has given and continues to give us all grace.

So, as in my role as a mother, I find myself giving and receiving grace to myself and others - as ministers' wives, we've gotta do the same.

Ladies, we are all apart of the Bride of Christ. We've got to rally around each other, loving and supporting one another as Christians sisters. Hidden feelings and unspoken thoughts are still known to God. Let's confess and grow together - giving grace to each of us just as it has been given to us.

No comments: