Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Transitions

For me, this past year has brought a whirlwind of emotions and changes. In the midst of it all, there were times that I have felt quite overwhelmed! Life is a series of ups and downs, joys and sorrows, familiar routines and unknown territories, and TRANSITIONS. Oh yes, transitions are inevitable, and they can sometimes feel like a rollercoaster ride!

In the last six months, I have had some significant transitions involving my children…………………

I shared in a blog last year that I had begun the journey of homeschooling our youngest daughter. It was a decision that was entered into with much prayer and preparation, and both me and my husband (and of course my daughter) were in full agreement about the Lord’s calling in this endeavor. Well, some callings are for a season. This past spring, May 23 to be exact, we had our last class together at home. It was a sad time for me, and yes I cried. But just as the decision to start homeschooling was not a flippant one, the decision to cease homeschooling was not flippant as well.

Homeschooling was always a “let’s take it year-by-year” situation, and during the course of this last school year it was decided by all for her to go back into a traditional school setting. These past two school years were a success academically and a blessing spiritually. I got the wonderful privilege of being my daughter’s teacher, as well as her mom, and we drew closer to one another. This has been a season of my life I will always cherish. I can honestly say that this transition went well; she has adjusted quite nicely to her new school. Praise the Lord for that!

There also has been another significant transition: sending my oldest daughter to college. Thankfully, she’s not too far away, and she does live on campus. However, the months leading up to this change were very hard. My husband and I had to deal with some extremely rebellious behavior from her, and we were very broken hearted over some of her actions. (Some of you who have raised teenagers know exactly what I am talking about!)

But God……..

God is a healer, restorer, reconciler, comforter, and so much more! By God’s grace I am extremely grateful that much of that rebellion is behind her, and that the Lord has been working in her life. We have seen changes in her that only Christ could bring about. Praise the Lord for that!

As a result of these transitions, I have experienced the Lord doing His work in my heart. I believe transitions are also a part of our growing up in Christ. So when your transitions (good or bad) come, allow the Lord to stretch, bend, and mold you. We can be sure that we won’t break because our Father knows just how much pressure to apply to produce the likeness of His Son in us.

I look forward to what He is going to do in this next season of life. Yes, transitions are inevitable; it’s how we handle them that make all the difference!

No comments: