Thursday, October 6, 2016

What Is Your Necessary Thing?

Have you ever thought about the one thing that you absolutely, positively could not live without?

Is it a person or a hobby or a television program or a favorite food or a vacation spot or the latest clothing styles or a website or the TN Prime Rib Blog?!

In this life we all have things that we convince ourselves that we need, and if we don’t get them, it seems that life will be so unbearable! (I know that’s a bit dramatic, but you get the point.)

I love trail mix. I can eat just about any kind, but it has to have chocolate in it! (Vickie, I like chocolate too!) I purposely don’t purchase it too often because it’s hard to exercise self-control when I dig in. Of course, there’s a suggested serving size on the bag, but I totally ignore that information. So, every now and then, I indulge in my “necessary thing”. I could probably come up with some other indulgences that I also think that I can’t live without.

What is your necessary thing?

Our loving Savior has given us all things to enjoy (1 Timothy 6:17) as long as they are not sinful, but we are not to have any idols before Him (Exodus 20:4-5). We enjoy, but we don’t worship these “things”.

There is truly one thing that is necessary. Our Savior leaves us no doubt what that “necessary thing” should be for each of us.

Mary, the sister of Martha and Lazarus, demonstrated what that “necessary thing” is.

In Luke 10:38-42 we see Jesus and His disciples traveling, and they come to the home of His dear friends. I call it the tale of two sisters. Mary, sitting at the Savior’s feet listening to His every word. Martha, frantically trying to serve the Savior. Many of you know the story: Martha gets very mad that her sister is not helping her serve, and she has no reservations about letting the Lord know just how irate she is.

Yet, I love Jesus’ gentle response to her. He compassionately tells her that she is worried about so many things, but (and I love this part) only “one thing is necessary”. Mary got it; she understood what was needed above all else. Sitting at the feet of Jesus!

What does that look like today? For me, it is reading His word, soaking in all the precious promises and truths in the Scriptures. It is praying to Him and enjoying intimate fellowship with Him on a daily basis, allowing His presence to encourage me throughout my day. I admit, some days I linger for a short time at His feet, some days I am able to sit longer. It has become a life-line for me, for I am nothing without Him.

So, my sisters, what is your necessary thing?

Oh, I believe it’s okay to have certain things that we enjoy, as long as they don’t become idols in our lives. But let’s not forget what Our Savior taught us; the “one necessary thing” that is needed is Jesus Christ Himself and all that He desires to pour into our hearts.

“But only one thing is necessary, for Mary has chosen the good part, which shall not be taken away from her.” Luke 10:42

No comments: