Thursday, January 12, 2017

Turn Over Your Burdens in 2017!

Happy New Year, my sisters!

We made it through another year. I don’t know about you, but every time the calendar turns to mark a new year, I get excited about new beginnings. The changing of a year is also a great time to reflect on what took place the year before; I rolodex in my mind the things that played out in my life, month by month. I can’t remember every single little detail of course, but something significant always comes to mind that helps me to recall what was special about that month.

Also, as the old year goes away, unfortunately, old baggage from the previous year sometimes tries to follow. The burdens from 2016 somehow leap their way into 2017, and just because it is a new year, doesn’t mean the old trials, the headaches, the drama, and the conflicts will disappear. I’m not being a pessimist, only a realist, because in this life we are going to have trouble, yet we are not without hope!

We have to remember the precious words of Jesus when those burdens and the cares and anxieties of life continue to bear down on us. His Word says, “Give all your worries and cares to God, for He cares about what happens to you.” 1 Peter 5:7 New Living Translation (NLT) Wow! So simple and profound, yet difficult to practice at times because we want to handle things ourselves.

Whatever burdens you are still carrying, turn them over to the awesome “Burden-Bearer” who can handle anything! We sometimes forget that we belong to a BIG GOD; our problems are no match for Him. He can handle our puny problems (puny in His eyes, but huge in our eyes).

I found myself meditating on Matthew 11:28-30 just this week:

“Come to Me, all of you who are weary and carry burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let Me teach you, because I am humble and gentle, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke fits perfectly, and the burden I give you is light.” NLT

Wonderful, glorious, faithful promises from our Faithful Lord and Savior!!

May we welcome Christ’s invitation to come to Him; may we bask in the rest He desires to give; may we trade our burdens for His yoke and receive freedom from worry and anxiety.

COME…REST…. RECEIVE! As I said earlier, so simple but so profound.

My sisters, I don’t know what burdens followed you into the new year, but the Lord Jesus Christ can handle them ALL!!! I don’t make resolutions, but I can claim promises from His Word, and you can too! We will find rest when we believe what He has said in His Word!

Turn over your burdens... HAPPY NEW YEAR!

No comments: