Thursday, January 11, 2018

Don't Eat Him

The Lord's Supper....

As Baptist, we normally partake of the Lord's Supper quarterly or any other designated time that is set aside.

Many times....it is a ritual and something we do not think a lot about.......

HOWEVER.....on New Year's Eve morning, our church partook of the Lord's Supper and I was able to view it from a different perspective.  Our grandchildren spent the night with us and went to church with us that morning.

Our grandchildren go to First Baptist Church of Cleveland, TN, which is a very large church, therefore, they are always in Children's Church and have never witnessed the Lord's Supper.

(We have a Children's Church for preschoolers, but they always choose to stay with Mimi instead.)

I had already wondered how I was going to handle it when they wanted juice and bread too.................................................but NOTHING prepared me for the QUESTIONS.

Never once did they ask to also participate.  BUT....they both asked a minimum of a million questions.  Why and how come, etc.

I answered the questions the best I could and during the entire ceremony, I explained what we were doing and why we were doing it..........................in a child's version.

Finally................Cameron asked......."Mimi, if the bread is Jesus's pretend body......and we love Jesus...............Why do We Eat Him Up?"

Whewww...............hard question.  Because, remember....in a preschoolers mind, eating someone is NOT loving them.....bad people eat the good people.

I stumbled and hope I made sense to him. 

I just told him that we were not really eating his body..............we were eating the bread so we could remember his body....and remember when he died on the cross for us.............................because we love him so, we want to REMEMBER HIM so eating the bread is just to help us remember.....just like drinking the juice is really not blood, but it helps us to remember that Jesus died for us.

Whewww.............that was enough to satisfy him....so I got lucky this time. 

Out of the mouths of Babes.............YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT THEY WILL
  • ASK
  • SAY
  • OR DO
 

No comments: