Thursday, January 25, 2018

Oh Well



Last week my only grand daughter turned one year old.  Being the awesome “Vivi” that I am, I hustled around consulting with my daughter-in-love on birthday plans.  I am a PRO at planning birthday parties for my two grandsons ages five and two so how hard could a “girl” party be. 

I pulled down the lamb cake molds which my mom used to create beautiful first birthday cakes for all her grandchildren.  I had used them twice before for my grandsons’ parties so a third attempt would be a breeze.  My daughter-in-love agreed to an all PINK Princess party complete with a tiara and a sash.  After raising two sons and having two grandsons, a splash of pink would be a blast.

Sadly, after two attempts on the Lamb Smash Cake, I finally managed to ice a “rough” looking creature.  I wanted my little princess to have a perfect cake.  Instead, she got a cross between “roadkill and an ugly dog.”  Oh well, I tried.

After setting everything up for the party, we placed Hazel Grace in her special chair.  We placed the tiara and sash on her.  She immediately began screaming and tore both the tiara and sash off.  My little princess had turned into a Drama Queen.

We finally calmed her down enough so that we could place the Lamb Smash Cake in front of her.  Hazel Grace took one look, kicked her chubby little leg into the backside of the cake and starting screaming again complete with REAL tears following down her face.  I think she was traumatized by the ugly creature in front of her.  Oh well, I tried.

Throughout the party, my little “Princess” wanted nothing to do with anything-no tiara, no sash, no cake, no ice cream (who doesn’t like ice cream!), and no presents.  The only thing that pleased Hazel Grace were her old toys which she had been playing with since Christmas.  Oh well, this little girl will always know that she is loved whether she likes tiaras and the color pink.

As I ponder the events of the day, I began to see a slight parallel with church members.

Our husbands try follow the Lord’s leadership and plan worship services, events, etc.  However, regardless of how biblical the sermon is, how uplifting and worshipful the music is, how successful the church events are, there is always that one person who refuses to take part in any of it.  Instead, they sit frowning and refuse to sing no matter what type of music is played.  Instead of listening for God’s message, they checked their watch or sleep during the sermon.  Instead of learning in their small group time, it becomes a place for them to talk about “the good old days.”  Our church wide fellowships and events are not for them because there are too many “outsiders” there and the program doesn’t appeal to them.  I firmly believe these people are missing out.  They would rather pout, cry, and cause drama than look for what God is doing in their midst. 

A church can have a top-notch staff, terrific music, outstanding programs and events, but you will never please everyone.  That is when you must love that person like Christ loves us and say, “Oh well, we did our best” and continue to follow the Lord’s leadership.

No comments: