Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Time Away


Call me childish, but I get extremely excited when I am able to get away with a bunch of girlfriends. To me it is like having a slumber party but without all the teenage hormone issues, boyfriend problems, and dating drama. Girlfriend gatherings are basically a time to relax and pamper weary souls.

My recent get away took me to a peaceful setting in Centerville, TN. A dear friend from church owns a home there and her family has turned it into a retreat center called Papa’s Cottage. It is nestled in the peaceful countryside. If you are into walking, there is a country road that leads to a small, beautiful waterfall. A babbling brook meanders along side the road. If I cannot get to the beach then Papa’s Cottage offers a spot of comfort.

Now at the Gathering there was no set time for bed or rising. Everything was at your own pace and timetable. Most of the girls brought their scrapbooking equipment and cropped ‘til they dropped. One friend and I, neither of us having no creative juices in that artistic realm, spent our time working on invitations to my son’s wedding rehearsal dinner. A couple of the other girls felt sorry for me and pitched in to help and give artistic advice. I am proud to say that by working together and seeking advice from my friends the invitation are not only completed but very cute.

As I look back on this weekend, I am reminded that Jesus got away with his closest friends. While the Bible says they prayed, I just believe that they talked until the wee hours of the morning, shared laughter and tears, and munch away on some of the area foods. Jesus had to take time away from ministering to people in order to refresh his soul and focus on the task at hand. I believe He was setting the example for his disciples and us to encourage us that sometimes there is a need to set aside time to refresh and refocus.

2 comments:

Dianna said...

Vickie that sounds like an awesome place. Does your friend let other desperate fro some down time pastor's wives go there? That would be an awesome time. The scrapbooking til the wee hours sounds very relaxing. Thanks,
Dianna

Vickie said...

Dianna,
Thanks for your post. Yes, Papa's Cottage is an awesome place. You can find out more at www.papascottageretreat.com. Several scrapbook groups have been to the place. I hope you can go. My friends name is Vicki as well.