Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Praying and Singing

Acts 16:39 "But at midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the prisoners were listening to them."

I know you have heard this story from scripture many times,yet this morning as I was reading these words,they became new all over again! Don't you just love God's Word?

Last night I could not sleep. I had several things on my mind and after praying about them, I began to review and try to solve the problems. The solution did not come nor did sleep.

Today as I was reading God's Word I saw what I missed in my time last night with God. I was eager to tell God all about it, but I did not take time to 'sing'. Don't misunderstand, if I would have started singing at midnight my husband would have kicked me out of bed!

The singing done by Paul and Silas was pure PRAISE. They had been beaten, stripped, thrown into the inner prison (which was extremely nasty) and stocks put on their feet. They were in a terrible condition physically, yet their spirits were stronger than ever.

God tells us that "He inhabits the praises of His people." He says, "The joy of the Lord is my strength." "Rejoice in the Lord always, and again I say rejoice." There is no question about it, God wants us to praise Him no matter what.

As Paul and Silas prayed and praised "the foundations of the prison were shaken.." God wants to shake the foundations of what is imprisoning us. He wants us to be free to speak the Word of the Lord with boldness.

What is your prison? Pray and Praise today and watch God "shake, open the doors and loose your chains.

No comments: