Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Desperate Pastors’ Wives

Not too long ago I discovered a book entitled “Desperate Pastors' Wives (Secrets from Lulu's Café)”. Two words in the title intrigued me. Desperate and Secrets. Desperate? Desperate for what? Desperate for whom? Secrets? What kind of secrets? Why do pastor’s wives have/need secrets?

Today let’s look at desperate and next time we’ll talk about secrets.

Desperate for a meaning of the word “desperate”, I turned to Webster’s and discovered it means “reckless or dangerous because of despair”, “having an urgent need, desire, etc.”

What are you desperate for? What am I desperate for?

Desperate for that new coat. Desperate for our house to sell. Desperate for people who will love and accept me unconditionally. Desperate for people to know and walk with my Jesus. Desperate for my family to be united under Christ. Desperate for joy and contentment. Desperate for a deeper walk with God. Desperate for a freedom from sin. Desperate for someone to know me. Desperate to quit being so self-centered. Desperate for this Christmas to be more meaningful and less commercial. Desperate for a cup of coffee. Desperate for chocolate. I could go on and on....

In Jonah 1:13 it says that “…the men rowed desperately to return to land but they could not, for the sea was becoming even stormier against them.” These men dug their oars into the water and pushed and pushed but the storm was bigger than their strength and they were going no where and totally exhausted. After desperately paddling for who knows how long, the next verse says “then they called on the Lord…”

My dear friend, whatever it is that you are desperate for….whatever it is that I am desperate for, God knows it and is the One who will provide those things for my life that He desperately wants to grant us. We must desperately run to Him recklessly, urgently, with desire….ask Him to make us desperate for what He is desperate for and watch what God does!

Remember that Jeremiah 17:9 says "The heart is more deceitful than all else and is desperately sick; who can understand it?”

Oh God, I ask that You would remove anything desperate in our hearts and lives and desires that are deceitful and sick. Fill us with a despiration for You!

2 comments:

Wendy Ellis said...

Thank you so much. I needed this today. Maybe you would enjoy reading this: www.strategicpublishinggroup.com/title/hiscalling-mypurpose.html. It's new but it offers some wonderful meat!

Dana said...

Thanks Wendy!! I did check it out and hope that many will get your book!