Sunday, December 13, 2009

Willing

In Luke 1 God sent an angel to Mary and told her that God wanted to bless her and that she would become pregnant and have a son, and she was to name Him Jesus. He would be very great and would be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give Him the throne of His ancestor David and He will reign over Israel forever!

Mary, understandably, was confused and disturbed and fearful and questioned how this could be since she was a virgin. The angel then explained the miraculous conception that would occur and told her that “nothing is impossible with God!”


It is Mary’s response to all of this that has captured my heart these past several weeks. She says, “I am the Lord’s servant and I am willing to accept whatever He wants…”

Friends, that is my prayer….that I would every day in each circumstance say “I am the Lord’s servant and I am willing to accept whatever He wants!”

Often times, however, I am afraid that my response is more like the song that I only know about two lines to....“I will do anything for love….but I won’t do that!” I cannot tell you how many times I have had that tune run through my mind this Christmas!!

Lord, I will love you and teach and pray….but I won’t do “that”! I will ____________ but I won't do _______________. How would you fill in the blanks?

What is the “that” that you won’t do? Visit that neighbor? Forgive that sister? Reconcile to that neighbor? Let go of the bitterness and hurt? What is “that”? Stop that sinful habit? Spend time with Jesus in His word?

May we all come to the place where Mary did and say, “I am the Lord’s servant and I am willing to accept whatever You want…..even “that”!

No comments: