Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The Greatest Gift of All

Dear Santa
I want a dog for Christmas. Please don’t forget to bring toys for my brother.
Love,
Vickie

When I was a little girl, every year I basically asked for the same thing over and over. I truly wanted a dog of my own. However, every year there would be no cute, fuzzy creature under my tree. Oh, I received dolls and other toys. One year Santa even left me a new bike and a stuffed monkey. (Don’t laugh, but I still have my cherished monkey.)

You see, I was a child who was allergic to everything on God’s green earth. Whether it was food, pollen, or pet hair, I would sneeze, cough, and wheeze. (Yes, my dear sisters, I was even allergic to chocolate! Thankfully, I outgrew most of these allergies and can enjoy my chocolate treats.) Now “Santa” and “Mrs. Claus” knew that a dog was not in my best interest. They put their heads together and always came up with substitute presents. However, the next year I would write my letter to Santa and once again ask for a dog only to find another gift under the tree.

In our Christian walk God does not always answer our prayers in the fashion we desire. For example, I have asked the Father for some pretty selfish things that were on my “want” list. I emphasize the word want because those items were things that I really did not need at the time. My Heavenly Father knew that those items would not make me happy and looking back they would only made me want more.

Like Santa, the Heavenly Father wants to give us good gifts. He wants us to be happy and healthy. He does not want to harm us and He does know what is in our best interest. As we all know, sometimes God says “yes” and sometimes the answer is “no.” So here’s my letter this year:

Dear Lord,
Bless my family and friends in accordance to your will. Help us all to trust you with all our being. Thank you for the greatest gift of all-Jesus.
Amen

No comments: