Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Don't Give Up

For the past couple of weeks I have been pretty much sidelined with severe allergies and laryngitis. My normal routines of housework and yard work basically have been at a standstill. My favorite exercise of walking/hiking had to almost stop because going outdoors sent my body into a full attack. In addition, I had been trying to watch what I eat, however, when the doctor finally had to put me on a large dose of steroids to get the allergies under control, I started consuming foods I did not even like. Because I was feeling so bad, I had a full out pity party one day (well okay, it lasted a few days). Basically, I cried and gave up. However, after a couple of days of pouting, God basically gave me an old fashion spanking and set me back on track.

Don’t you ever just want to give up? Take ministry for instance. We strive to follow God’s plan for our lives and our church but somewhere along the way, someone puts an obstacle in our path that just seems too big to overcome. For example, it may be that you have visited a person in the hospital but because you were not there every day, they get upset. Perhaps, you felt led to led a small group study but someone gets there feelings hurt because it is not at a time they can attend. Sometimes, God leads you to a new place of ministry and from the start you face trials that wear you down. I know you have been at a point in your ministry life that you have wanted to give up because I have been there too.

Even the bible discusses spiritual giants who were at the point of giving up. For example in 2 Chronicles 15:7 God sent an encouraging message to King Asa saying, “But as for you, be strong, and do not give up, for your work will be rewarded.”

Girlfriends, when we get discouraged, let us stay focused on what God’s plan is. Let’s not give up but continue to strive for His glory. I do believe that if we stay in line with God’s will our ministry will be rewarded.

No comments: