Friday, May 14, 2010

Are You A Cheerleader?

I always wanted to be a cheerleader. Dreamed of it. Longed for it. Even attempted to try out for the squad….but at the last minute was disqualified for having a “C” in Citizenship on my report card—for “whispering too much” of all things!! I spent more of my time in school talking than learning!!

I may never have been on the cheerleader squad in high school or in college, but I am a cheerleader!!

When my husband began his dissertation for the doctorate program, I decided that my role would be one of cheerleader. I would not do “hands on” work like typing or editing or proofing but I would give him space to work, keep children occupied while he studied and not get too grumpy when I needed/wanted time with him. I would encourage him to not give up when he wanted to quit and I would try not to pout when he was gone for weeks at a time to the campus. (Much more on this....maybe for a later post!!)

You see, sometimes what my husband needs is a cheerleader. Someone on the sidelines telling him "You can do it". "Go for it". "You are amazing". "I love you". "You are such a Godly man". Etc.

Our children also need a cheerleader. Someone who will tell them they are precious. Loved. Smart. Funny. Someone to ooh and aah over the little things they say and do. Someone who will tell them they can do it when they are fearful and tired.

Listen to a sad, heartbreaking comment I heard the other day. “I hope somebody thinks I'm quite wonderful, but it isn't my Mother.” Doesn’t this break your heart? Is this something you could say? Do you feel that you are wonderful only if you “perform” well? Are successful? Do what people want you to do?

Everyone needs a cheerleader. We must be someone’s’ cheerleader. We must be the one that ooh’s and aah’s when the simple things are accomplished. We must celebrate who they are…not what they do. If we are not careful, we can make people think that performance is what is important…Especially minister’s children.

Who is your cheerleader? Who needs you to be their cheerleader?

No comments: