Tuesday, May 11, 2010

GG Jack, Meet Jackson


My dad’s name is Jack. He is a fun, outgoing guy from California who, last week, at 83 years old, drove all by himself from San Diego to Indianapolis in his hot red convertible sports car to visit us. The week went by too quickly, and before we knew it, it was time for him to “hit the road again” and head off to Texas to see my brother.

My dad had never met two of our daughter’s three children, Anne, who is almost one, and Jackson who is almost three. They all took to him immediately and, surprisingly, he was very patient and kind with them.

Jackson was named after my dad. What an honor to have someone named after you!! Funny thing, they are a lot a like in a number of ways. Jackson likes things “just so”….cars lined up, blocks stacked "his" way....and so does my dad!! Jackson LOVES ice cream and my dad had a huge bowl of vanilla Blue Bell ice cream (yes, hallelujah! Blue Bell finally arrived to Indy!!) every night with chocolate syrup on top.

There is one major difference, however. Jackson is learning of the love and sacrifice of my Jesus and my dad has no interest in Him at all. For years it has been such a burden for me for my parents to know my Jesus. My mother died never knowing Him….a burden that is so heavy for me to bear that often times I am crushed under the weight of it all.

My prayer during my dad’s travels across the US is that He would have an encounter with Jesus similar to what Paul had while he was traveling on the road to Damascus. I also want you to know that today, as I pray for him, I am praying for your family members who also do not know Jesus.

No comments: