Monday, May 31, 2010

Remembering

Memorial Day - a day to remember those who gave their lives to set and keep us free.

I am sure all of you have family members, church members and friends who have served in the military. Some of you have someone near you who is serving this very minute. Today is a day we set apart to say, "Thank You."

As I reflected on what today meant, I was reminded of David's proclamation.

"One generation shall praise Your works to another, And shall declare Your mighty acts." Psalm 145:4

"Men shall speak of the might of Your awesome acts, And I will declare Your greatness. They shall utter the memory of Your great goodness, And shall sing of Your righteousness." Psalm 145:6-7

As you spend time with your family today, I am sure you will stop reflect, remember and thank God for the men and women who have given their lives for us. Our freedom of worship, to read the Bible, speak of our God was costly for many families. It is important that we do not take those sacrifices for granted.

In the same way, as Christians, we do not want to take for granted the greatest sacrifice made for us. We belong to the family of God because of His willingness to give His son for us. I know you already know and believe this, but are you remembering in your daily walk?

Take time as you remember our troops today to remember our Savior today. As you remember, do not stop there. Tell, talk, share with your family, neighbors, world. Let the generations rise up and praise, so all the world will know.



1 comment:

Pat said...

Thanks, Karen, for your thoughtful words and reminder. Thanks also for your specific prayers for my son Nick, who is serving in Afghanistan. Yesterday was his and Heather's first anniversary. I expected her to have a really rough day, but wasn't prepared for how hard it would hit me. But, the prayers of great friends like you, along with many others, helped get me through. Thanks for your unending encouragement to all of us ministers' wives!