Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Change of Perspective

The other night I was putting my soon-to-be eight year-old to bed. I could tell something was weighing on her heart, so I asked her what was wrong. She began to complain about how her little sister was getting all the attention.

The irony was that I had been praying about just that dynamic and had been very careful to give Riley that extra time so she wouldn't resent her little sister. So I gently reminded her of the events of the last two days. As I mentioned shopping with just me and helping me decorate cupcakes her furrowed brow eased a bit. I refreshed her memory of the time she and her daddy had spent in the backyard with her golf clubs. She admitted that was fun and was smiling again by the time I mentioned the game of UNO she had played with her daddy and I the night before.

As I was retelling this conversation with her daddy later, I was convicted of how often I approach our heavenly Father with the exact attitude. All too often, I come before Him asking, "What have You done for me lately?" My selfish attitude gets the best of me and my perspective is limited to my immediate view of my life.

The truth is that I do not have to look far to be reminded that the world is bigger than me. There are people hurting all around me -in my church, my town, my state, my country. My heart continues to break for the people of Japan.

By comparison, I am so blessed. God has been so incredibly good, yet like a selfish child I come to God asking for more. It isn't that He doesn't want us to come before Him with our needs, we just need to acknowledge those things He has done.

When I start to become down, allowing Satan to steal my joy, I just need to take a minute and count my blessings. I need to ask Him to give me His perspective on my situation. It is amazing how when I do this the peace, joy and faith I need to go on are supplied. HE must be my focus, then He can change my perspective.

Riley brought this issue up again last night. I sighed. And I realized that it is a process . . . I am so thankful that God is patient!

No comments: