Monday, August 22, 2011

Happy Anniversary!!!



Thirty-two years ago this month I married my best friend. We dated for seven years and were each other’s first date, so we have been together for thirty-nine years….which is interesting since I am only 39 years old. Smile. Please notice the preacher on the left, which is my dad and the preacher on the right is my father-in-law. Both of them have since gone on to be with our Lord and are greatly missed. However, they told us with both of them tying the knot, there was NO WAY we would ever be able to un-do it. Smile.

The older I get the more I realize that we are in the minority and what a precious gift we have been awarded. Even in our church, very few marriages have lasted this long. Someone asked me last year at my school how I had kept a man faithful that long…….I jokingly told them that I had this marriage thing figured out…. Some men marry a pretty, skinny blonde that stays that way and by mid-life they are bored so they stray. My husband, Roger married me and he has had skinny, medium, large, extra large obese and he has had a blonde, brunette, red-head, striped head, etc. With me he has experienced it all without having to stray. Smile.

All jokes aside, what has happened to the sanction of marriage? Many times divorce is unavoidable for one reason or another, but it seems as if most couples just see it as the easy way out. A successful marriage is not easy and does not come without hard work. Years ago, my dad told me that marriage is something that does not just happen; it is something that you have to work at for the rest of your life. I have since, realized the truth of that bit of wisdom. First, God has to be the head of the home and marriage. Then, the husband and wife have to work together and make compromises for things work. It is a two way street!

Our son will be getting married in just a little over four months. The oldest member of our church, Mrs. Mahalia who is 97 years old, told him that once you are married….there will be TWO and not ONE. You must always remember that and always consider each others feelings and opinions. My, what simple, but wise advice! You can bet he won’t forget that either because while telling him she had that little crooked finger, bent and pointing at him with an ORDER and not a request. Smile.


Mark 10:9 says….What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

I thank God every day for my best friend, my husband. My prayers are that not only will our children live and experience this type of love, but they will pass that tradition on down to their children.

My challenge to you is to set the example for the younger generations and encourage them. Be there for them. Be honest and let them know that it is not easy and is not always going to be a bed of roses, but with God’s help, they can have a long and successful marriage and beat the statistics.

No comments: