Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Lightning Bugs and Lemonade

The summer is just flying by too fast. I can honestly say I have not accomplished the needed housework (cleaning out closets and drawers, yard work, etc) that I had on my summer to-do list. My outdoor walks have been slow and few due to the heat wave that Tennessee is experiencing. I just do not like to sweat unless there is a pool nearby. Another thing I wanted to do this summer is fix up my deck area, sip lemonade at dusk and watch the lightning bugs come out to play.


Okay, maybe I am being a little nostalgic. I remember as a little girl chasing lightning bugs through our neighborhood and capturing them in jars. Parents would sit in the yard or on the porch sipping lemonade or iced tea while children squealed with laughter capturing lightning bugs.


At a certain point all the parents would decide that it was time to go inside for the night. I would place my jar of magical creatures on a table in my room, wash my sweaty, little body, and pull on the pajamas. My parents would tuck me in bed, say prayers, and turn out the lights. I admit I was afraid of the dark; however, my magical little lightning bugs would put off a soft, comforting glow that chased away the evil in the dark corners of my room.


As I remember this point in my childhood, I smile. Life back then was difficult for our parents. They worked hard and had to stretch their dollars just like we have to now. However, sitting on the porch or in the yard with neighbors sipping lemonade or iced tea did not cost them anything but a little time. Playing chase with friends or capturing lightning bugs were just part of a child's life growing up in the south.


I may be stretching things a little today but stick with me. I can just imagine our heavenly Father watching his children take a break from the daily toil of life. God does not want us to go at a fast face like the world wants us to. The Father desires his children to slow down and enjoy the little things like lemonade and lightning bugs. I think He wants us to sit in the yard and chat with neighbors. Personally, I think it would be fun to chase and capture lightning bugs again. I could use a soft, comforting glow to chase away the stresses of this world.