Thursday, May 23, 2013

The Stability of Our Times

The chaos in Moore Oklahoma, the hysteria of Boston Massachusetts, the devastation of West Texas have all happened here in the United States in the last 5 weeks. Globally, there is the heartbreak of the clothing factory collapse in India, the commonplace violence in Syria and the threat of annihilation from North Korea.

We can use many words to describe our times, but I doubt anyone would use the word "stable."

"Unstable" or "in stable" would be more like it.

While I have not faced the loss of life or possessions in the last weeks, and I do not pretend to equate my crazy busy life with what so many others are facing. I can say that as I have run from recitals to end-of-the-school-year activities that the things going on outside the little bubble of life have definitely put things into perspective for me. The month of May may be the new "December" with mounting monetary expenses and a busy social calendar, but I have definitely appreciated my "obligations" and "responsibilities" a little more. How blessed am I?

I have wondered what kind of world am I raising my kids in. What is God doing? I know He is in control. I know that He is loving. I know He works ALL things for His glory and our good. But, it is so easy to take our eyes off Him when we see all the results of sin in this fallen world we live in.

God gave me this verse this morning:

"and he will be the stability of your times, abundance of salvation, wisdom, and knowledge; the fear of the Lord is Zion's treasure." Isaiah 33:6

Ladies, if we believe this verse, if He is the STABILITY of our times - providing us with an ABUNDANCE of salvation, wisdom, and knowledge - then what do we have to fear? The only thing we should fear is the Lord and this same verse reminds us that is Zion's treasure. The craziness of this world should remind us that we should not fear this world, but the God of angel armies who is in charge of this world.

What better times for us to live in then the times that God has ordained for us? He is our stability. He is our rock. Let's praise Him in the midst of our storms. He is.

No comments: