Monday, February 24, 2014

A Valentine's Post (just a little late!)

Ladies, I couldn't let February pass without a Valentine's posting!

Yes the holiday is overly commercialized and way out of control. Especially, as ladies, it is easy to let our expectations of our husbands get out of hand, but I need to brag on my man just a little...

Wally is not a typical romantic. Honestly, by most women's standards, his most romantic efforts would fail to impress. But he demonstrates his love for me in countless ways every single day.

Maybe my expectations have changed. (Notice that I didn't say "lowered")

My heart soars as I watch him care for our girls, gently brushing their hair or acting goofy just to make one of them giggle. Without being asked, he cleans the kitchen or folds a load of laundry and I know he appreciates me. He volunteers to pick up diapers on the way home and to run the vacuum before my mom arrives. His actions tell me he loves me.

No I may not get unexpected bouquets of my favorite flowers or lengthy love letters like he would send when were engaged, but he listens to my stories again and again. He keeps his word and will even watch a sappy, romantic comedy from time-to-time. (Don't tell anyone, but the Colin Firth version of Pride and Prejudice is one of his faves!)

I know he prays for me. He prays for us. He prays with me.

Instead of wishing him into some sap that he isn't, God has given me a deep appreciation for the man that he is. I couldn't be more loved by anyone other than God Himself.

When I begin to think about all that God has given me in Wally Vinson, I know I am a very blessed  woman indeed.

Ladies, I don't know about your man, but let me encourage you to show him some appreciation and respect. Look at how he shows you love. It may not be very Valentine-like romantic, but I'd bet if you gave him some credit you might just change your definition of romance too....

What are some things that your groom does to make you feel loved?

No comments: