Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Selfish to Self-less

I'm so self-centered. Really, I am.

I am prideful and self-righteous.

I am selfish.

I am human. Not to excuse my sin, but when I live in the flesh this is my reality.

This is the reality that leads to my discontentment. My house isn't big enough. My clothes aren't nice enough. My body isn't, well, not what I want it to be. My kids can't do anything right. My husband lets me down and disappoints me.

This reality is not the life Jesus spoke of in John 10:10 -

"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly."

When I begin to feel dissatisfied with myself or my life, when my husband can't say the right thing or when the "blahs" seem to become my normal, I am starting to look within and see where I have allowed "the thief" to steal my joy, kill my contentment and destroy my peace.

I have taken my focus off of Christ. 

I have centered my focus on my self. 

My pride creeps in and I judge others. 

I look to my own interests.

Yet, Christ came that I may have life and have it abundantly. 

I should be centered on Him. 

I should boast in my weakness, so He is glorified. He is my righteousness.

I am His. 

As I learn to live in these truths, my whole outlook on my life is transformed. My house, and the mounds of laundry, are signs of His many blessings.  I see myself the way He sees me. I stop and enjoy my kids just they way they are. My husband is freed from the pressure to be something God never intended Him to be and our marriage is strengthened. 

Then there's the ministry beyond the home that God has called me to. When I am not centered on myself, I can see God do amazing things in, around and through me. 

So, ladies, how do you stay centered on Him? What truths to do you claim to live the life He came to give?

No comments: