Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Pockets of Peace

A smile
A hug
A loving card or text message
An encouraging phone call
A small unexpected gift

What do these things have in common? I know them to be instant agents of joy that bring “pockets of peace” when I may be having a really, really bad day!

I define a “pocket of peace” as those seemingly insignificant things that the Lord drops into your day when you least expect it, but the impact that they have is priceless. We all have really, really bad days occasionally, even though we know that we belong to Christ and are secure in Him. At times, simply living life throws us curve balls, and we just don’t see them coming!

Yes, Jesus said that in this life we will have trouble, but He also told us to be encouraged because HE has overcome the world. Yes, the apostle Peter told us that we are to not think it strange when fiery trials come upon us, but he told us that we share in the sufferings of Christ and we are to rejoice. Yes, as Christians we are going to suffer, yet also the apostle Peter tells us that we are not to be ashamed in our suffering, but to glorify God.

Life can get very hard at times, but the one thing that I have come to rely on and appreciate more in my life is the peace of Christ as I am living through difficult situations. Before He went to the cross, Jesus told his disciples, “Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful.” John 14:27 Anything the world wants to give us pales in comparison to what our Savior can give. His peace is lasting, His peace is genuine, and His peace will melt away distress and fear in our hearts. I know that to be so true in my life, as I have experienced that very recently.

The apostle Paul urged us to,“Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:6-7 Nothing can rip peace away from us like an anxious heart, a heart full of worry, doubt, fear, and unbelief. The best thing that I have found for calming a troubled heart is found in prayer, talking with my Father, through prayers of adoration, confession, thanksgiving, and petition, telling Him the things that are burdening my heart. When I do this, the promise found in Philippians 4:7 floods my mind and spirit, and I do experience a supernatural peace that is so incredible.

So when you are having a bad day, look for those “pockets of peace” that our Loving Father sends your way; receive them with joy. May the Lord use them to whisper to your heart, in a still small voice, that you are loved, perfectly and completely.

No comments: