Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Drawing Near

“How blessed is the one whom You choose and bring near to You, to dwell in your courts…..” Psalm 65:4

I recently found myself sitting on the couch in my den and having a conversation with the Lord….out loud. There have been times in the past when I have prayed in an audible voice, and not silently, but this time it seemed much different. I spoke with Him as if He were my own private counselor, sitting right across from me on the other side of the table. Yet, isn’t that one of His glorious names, Wonderful Counselor?

My sisters, isn’t prayer always supposed to feel like that? We have an audience with the Mighty Creator of the universe, and as we share what’s on our hearts with Him, we can tell Him anything (and I do mean ANYTHING), and it will not be conveyed to another living soul! How awesome is that!

On this particular occasion there were some things I desperately needed to share with Him, so I did just that, for almost an hour. What a cleansing experience that was! Since He is omniscient and always knows what we will say, think, or do at any given moment, He still invites us to draw near to have that intimate, sweet fellowship with Him. Of course, the challenge is not to do all the talking. That morning when I spoke with my Father, He spoke back to me…….through His precious Word!

The Lord is always with us. He promised us in the Old Testament that He would never leave nor forsake us (Duet 31:6), and He echoes that same promise in the New Testament , that He will always stand by us (Hebrews 13:5). Also, when we talk with Him, aren’t we supposed to see Him with our spiritual eyes, as if our Lord is sitting in the chair right next to us or right in front of us? He is ALWAYS there, but the busyness of life sometimes keeps us from realizing this marvelous promise that He is near.

In Lamentations 2:19, the writer tells us to, “….pour out your heart like water before the presence of the Lord….” I did exactly that on that memorable morning. What about you? Is there something burdening your heart or mind that you need to pour out before the Lord? He wants us to come close and experience His faithfulness and goodness each and every day!

Yes, we are truly blessed as the psalmist says in Psalm 65:4 when He chooses us to be a part of His adopted family, and draws us near by the blood of Christ our Savior. Because of His boundless grace and mercy found in Christ, we WILL forever dwell in His courts.

Won’t you draw near today?

No comments: