Saturday, January 23, 2016

On My Toes & On My Knees (Part 3)

It will be a long time before I forget the events of last Sunday morning.

Seven days have now passed but I am praying the lessons learned, mine and hers, will be long lasting. She has earned a few of her privileges back and we've had several heart-to-hearts in the days that have followed.

And, yes, I saw good come from my forced transparency as I bonded and discipled a few of the students in my Sunday School class. But God has used her actions, and my reactions, to teach me a few personal things as well.

For example, I don't have it altogether as a parent. I yelled. I egged her on once I became frustrated. I found myself, even hours later, still angry with her. I had no compassion for her, much less empathy, mercy or grace. I was forced to confess my sins both to her and our Heavenly Father, further reminding myself that I have a long way to go on this sanctification journey.

I gathered with some of my closest friends the night after all this went down. We meet regularly and end our evenings together sharing praises and requests. The 11 of us there thanked God for our kids, but also we all sought His guidance on this parenthood path we are on. From a 21 year old Vanderbilt student to my two year old little bit, we represented well over 2 dozen children, yet not one of us would profess to having this child-rearing thing under control.

We openly admit that we NEED His help and our kids do too.

I was reminded of Paul's words in 1 Timothy 2:15:
"Yet she will be saved through childbearing- if they continue in faith and love and holiness with self-control." (ESV)

The "saved" Paul is talking about here is the kind where the justified believer faces life with the goal of  being made more like Jesus. Here, Paul tells us that motherhood IS a huge part of that sanctifying process.

I want and need to "continue in faith and love and holiness with self-control." These are things I pray for and these are things that are tested with my "Mom" title. My daughters are a major part of God making me more like Jesus and I am SO thankful for that.

I often talk about this daughter of mine as the one "who keeps me on my toes and on my knees."

Honestly, last Sunday morning wore me out, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I can now recognize God's hand in it all, making me more like Jesus through my roll as "mom."

No comments: