Wednesday, February 24, 2016

The"But" of Politics

Super Tuesday is next week.

Tennessee along with a bunch of other states will go to the polls to vote on which candidate will be the best nominee for President.

I respect our process. I am honored to have the privilege to vote. I understand that many sacrificed a great deal in order for me to exercise this right. I will vote.

However, I don't ever remember being so unexcited or uninspired to do so. I have done my best to vote in every election I could since I turned 18. But this election seems different.

I have more information at my fingertips than ever. Thanks to social media I know more about who is voting for whom than in any other election before. The only strong feelings I have about the candidates is whom I really do NOT want to vote for.

It is easy for me to be discouraged this election year. The thought of nine more months of this crazy circus can actually depress me if I give into it. The thoughts of "what if" or "could we really" overwhelm me if I allow my brain to go there.

Things seem bleak to me. Sigh.

Yet, how easy is it to fall into these same thought patterns within our places of service? We can look around at the ministries that God has called us to and can find ourselves wallowing in self-pity, doubt and depression.

"But" (I love when this word appears in Scripture!) just as God is ultimately in control of ordaining our country's leader, He is ultimately in control of what is happening in and around our churches. The church is not ours. She is His.

"For we know in  part and we prophesy in part, BUT when the perfect comes, the partial will pass away." 1 Corinthians 13:9-10 ESV (emphasis mine)

I don't know when "the perfect" is coming, "but" I want to be found ready, hopefully and optimistically waiting. Yes, my knowledge now is limited, "but" read to the end of the verse! The promise is there: "the perfect" is coming and my partial, limited knowledge and efforts will be gone.

Praise the Lord! He is our hope - not any politician or any candidate, Jesus.

No comments: