Sunday, November 27, 2016

Even Though

Another Thanksgiving has come and gone.

Everyone has gone home.

No more chaos.

Toys that have been out all over the floor for days are put in their appropriate tubs and stowed under beds or stacked on closet shelves.

The beds are all made.

The towels are all picked up off of various door knobs and floors, washed, folded, and put away.

No more forts and tents made out of various and a sundry blankets and pillows adorn our living area.

No more paper plates stacked ready for snacks and leftovers.

No more laughter and noise and people.

No more watching movies all piled in our bed.
 


Everything is put away in their proper places and all is back to 'normal'.

It is quiet.

I am alone.

I am grateful.

Grateful for the chaos, the noise, the mess, and the people that made it.

Grateful for the Lord who blesses me with these people.

As I ponder this….I wonder….

If there were no people.

If there were no toys or children.

If there was nothing like I had just experienced these past few days with family all home.

If my health or the health of our children or grandchildren was bad.

If my husband was sick.

If we were homeless.

If we were estranged.

If……..

Would I still be grateful?

Would I be able to say like Habakkuk, “even though the fig trees have no blossoms, and there are no grapes on the vines; even though the olive crop fails, and the fields lie empty and barren; even though the flocks die in the fields, and the cattle barns are empty, yet I will rejoice in the Lord!  I will be joyful in the God of my salvation!  The Sovereign Lord is my strength!  He makes me surefooted as a deer, able to tread upon the heights.  Habakkuk 3:17-19

What is my “even though”?

Even though I don’t have fruit and even though there is no harvest and even though I am empty and barren and even though there is death…..even though things don't go my way....even though I don't get what I want....even though ________...

Can I still say “I will be joyful?”  Can you still say you will be joyful?

Would I still be joyful?  Would you?

Father, I am grateful for the blessings and the abundance that come from You….may You give me the grace to be grateful and joyful during the “even though” times as well.  May You find me faithful during the "even though" seasons.

No comments: