Friday, September 15, 2017

When We Are Tempted To Complain...

So much devastation. So much loss.

Our nation has experienced the destructive effects of, not one but two, powerful storms that made landfall in Texas and Florida. Other states in the Southeast also were plummeted with damaging winds and torrential rains.

Our nation has also experienced, even in the midst of such tragedy, people from many different cultures, races, social economic backgrounds, and religious affiliations come together with a common goal of helping those in need, whether it be aiding in heroic rescue efforts or providing essential supplies such as food, water, and toiletries.

As I contemplated the horrible losses: the homes and businesses that were destroyed, the lives displaced, and worst of all the loved ones that were lost, I was convicted about all of the “petty” things that I sometimes complain about, especially in light of this type of suffering. For myriads of people, life changed in an instant. Homes and businesses can be rebuilt, but loved ones cannot be replaced.

Some of my reflections:

The next time I am tempted to complain about not getting a good night's rest, I will reflect on the fact that I have a bed in my home to sleep in tonight. Many are sleeping in shelters.

If I am tempted to complain about the selection of food in my house or about having to cook, I will reflect on the fact that I still have a kitchen in which to prepare food and a refrigerator to store it.
Many don’t know where their next meal is coming from.

If I am tempted to complain about “not having anything to wear” (ladies we are good at this one!), I will reflect on the fact that I have a closet full of clothes. Many had to leave their homes with just the clothes on their backs.

If I am tempted to complain about the old car that I drive, I will reflect on the fact that I do have reliable transportation to take me where I need to go. Many had their vehicles swept away in the floods.

I could go on and on, but you get the picture.

And as we think on those that have lost much, please let us pray for them, that our Lord will comfort, heal, and restore. Also, we know that our Father in Heaven can bring salvation from these tragedies, as many place their faith and trust in the Lord Jesus Christ!

So, when we are tempted to complain, let us remember our innumerable blessings.

No comments: