Thursday, September 21, 2017

Who Are My Egyptians?






A few weeks ago, my quiet time was in Exodus 14:13-14 where Moses addressed the Israelites at the Red Sea as Pharaoh’s and his army approached.  As soon as I read that passage, I immediately thought, “Who are my Egyptians?”



“Moses answered the people, “Do not be afraid.  Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the Lord will bring you today.  The Egyptians you see today you will never see again.  The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.”



There are days as a minister’s wife that can be calm.  However, on other days, life can be challenging.  As I pondered who my Egyptians were, here is what I decided:



*Demands placed on me by church members:

These are not bad people.  However, they fail to realize I am only one person and they are many.  Although I try, I can’t meet all their demands.



*The critics:

What? Ministers’ wives have critics?  Yes, we do.  We are criticized from how we dress to how our children behave.  They criticize our husband’s sermons to the songs in the service.  Let’s face it.  I sometimes wonder if there is a sign over my head that reads “Complaint Department.”

What I have learned is that these people are not happy and you just have to let God handle it.



*Myself:

This one hurt.  I have always been a people-pleaser, and I constantly compare myself to others.  For years (and at time even today), I experience little to no self-esteem.  When I can’t make everyone happy, I feel guilty and I second guess everything I do.  This leads to comparing myself to others who have more talent and ability.  Gee, who needs an “Egyptian” when I can beat my own self up?



The close of verse 14 is what we need to remember each day.  It says, “The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.”  When our Egyptians (whoever or whatever they may be) attack, we need to be still and to allow our Mighty Warrior-God- to stand before us.  For He has promised to deliver us from our enemies.

No comments: