Sunday, November 5, 2017

What Do We Do?

As I knew my turn to blog was quickly approaching, I had been thinking and praying on what to post.

I had a pretty good idea as to where I wanted to start and what I wanted to say. I still might say it. I might write those things later in the week.

But, tonight, I can't.

I got the first bit of information from a text message this afternoon.

Another church shooting . . .

This time it's a Southern Baptist Church in small town Texas.

I don't want to know any more details than those I know. 24 are dead including a 5 year old child, a pregnant woman (is her unborn baby counted among those deceased?) and the 14 year old daughter of the pastor.

My daughter is 14 and her daddy is the associate pastor . . .

Right now, the house is quiet. My daughters have been put to bed. The television is silent and the only noise is from the clothes dryer in the next room.

My heart hurts. There are more things that I can't put into coherent thoughts than things I can.

I cannot conceive of this America we call home. From Las Vegas to New York to this everyday, small town in Texas . . . It was only weeks ago a man did something similar outside of Nashville, but he ONLY killed one . . .

I cannot imagine the scene. I cannot empathize with the survivors. I cannot fathom what the coming days and months and years will look like.

I cannot understand the motivation behind such disregard for life, but I do know Jesus told us that if the world hated Him, we should expect to be hated to. Because sin is rampant in this fallen, depraved world, we should expect such violence to continue and even to escalate. We aren't safe just because we live in the United States. Our residency and citizenship does not make us immune to this kind of evil. In fact, those things combined with our Christian faith, makes us the biggest targets of all.

In my Facebook feed I have seen one minister call for "#guncontrolnow." Another posted a petition for another denomination to keep guns out of churches . . . as if these measures would hold this evil at bay. . . While I don't want to politicize my response, I do understand and share the desire to DO something . . .

So ministers' wives, church members, Christians ~ What do we do? What would Jesus have us do?


  • Pray - Prayer is the MOST important work. It isn't where we start to work, or how we wrap things up at the end of the day. It IS active. 


  • Weep - Yes. This should break our hearts and we should cry. Jesus did, even knowing He was about to raise Lazarus back from the dead, He still wept with the dead man's sister. Feel the hurt.


  • Obey - Knowing this could have been any of our own churches this morning, we must be faithful with whatever time God has allotted us in His book. He has recorded every one of our days and only He knows when He will be calling us home. So, we cannot keep putting off the active obedience of getting done what He has called us to do. ----My pastor preached on evangelism this morning. There are some people I need to actively tell about the gospel. 


  • Worship - It's God's grace that I can take joy in the smiles of my children. It's God's grace that I have a full belly tonight and kitchen full of food for tomorrow. It's God's grace that I know Him and THE truth that He is actively redeeming this fallen world. It's God's grace that I have His word available to me in the Bible. It's God's grace that I know His goodness in so many big and small ways. 
  • Pray - It can't be overlooked. Its importance can't be lessened. We have to cry out to God. We need more of His grace and all we have to do is ask. Let's ask boldly and with confidence. . . 

Why don't you take a minute or two and write a prayer in the comments? Not for me to know you're praying, but to be intentional and stop and pray. There will be time to figure out safety protocols and policies, but tonight we pray . . .






1 comment:

Tara said...

Dear Jesus, Please be near. Come back quickly and finish the work You've begun. We need You. . .