Thursday, October 26, 2017

Be Joyful




There is so much going on in our ministry life right now.  Our church is in the middle of a capital funding raising campaign, several senior adult members are ill, in the Bible study class I am a part of several class members have family who are facing serious health issues and even death. Top this off with our own family issues-a son transitioning to a new community but has a home to sale, both sons adjusting to new jobs, an upcoming marriage of my nephew, etc.  I feel all I do is worry and grab a handful of M & M’s when I pass my “Happy” jar.

I found a scripture today in Habakkuk 3:17-18 that really spoke to me.  It says, “Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, through the olive crop fails and the fields produce on food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in God my Savior.”

All my worrying only causes my stress level to rise.  This stress then flows over into ministry life and personal life.  There is also the fact that all the M & M’s do is broaden my backside.  I always laugh at people when they say ministry life must be perfect.  It’s not!  We have our times of spiritual barrenness, financial struggles, health issues, and hurt.  Because they are our “church family,” we also take on the problems of our members and help them carry their burdens.  It gets wearisome at times.  To be honest, there are times when I really want to lock myself away from everyone else’s issues so I can focus on my problems.

However, I do not and neither should you.  What we should be doing is praising God that we have the ability to provide comfort and encouragement to a hurting person and help in their times of need.  Yes, struggles come and the world seems to be in chaos, but our Great God is still on His throne and in control of the storms of life.

Sisters, let us do what Habakkuk says, “be joyful in God my Savior.”

No comments: