Tuesday, May 20, 2008

A FRIEND

Today I am sitting by the bed of my dear sweet friend, Katrina. She is in hospice care for ovarian cancer.

As I sit here, I am reminded of some "well intentioned", though wrong, advice given me as a young minister's wife. "Be careful young lady, you will never be able to have close friends in the ministry."

I am grateful after 28 years as a minister's wife to be able to say, "she was wrong". As God led my husband and I to each place of ministry, He brought friends into our lives. They became a part of who I am now and who I am becoming day by day.

The key to having friends is following God's guidelines. He is very clear about friendships. He is also clear about being a friend.

Lets take a quick journey through Proverbs, using the Message as our translation.

Proverbs 10 A good person's life is a fountain of wisdom
The speech of a good person clears the air
Proverbs 11 Someone with integrity won't violate a confidence
Proverbs 12 The conversation of a good person keeps them out of trouble
A cheerful word picks us up
There is healing in the words of the wise
Proverbs 15 Kind words heal and help

Obviously, I have only touched the surface. You may have also noticed that I focused on the conversations of friends. I believe the beginning of a wise friendship starts with the tongue.

A Godly friend will not cause you to gossip, but cause you to praise.

A Godly friend will not make your heart sick, her words will heal and help.

A Godly friend will not depress you with negative conversation, but strengthen you with encouragement.

A Godly friend will not repeat the things you share, but pray for you.

I am blessed with many friendships. Each place God took us, there were friends waiting. He has friends waiting for you.

Choose your friends wisely. Be a good friend yourself. Thank God for your friends. They are a gift.

"Thank you God for my sweet friend, Katrina. Comfort her today as she has comforted me through the years."

1 comment:

Tara said...

Karen . . .

Your words here are so very wise! Thank you for the reminder that if we want to have a certain kind of friend, that we need to be that kind of friend . . . Your friend will be in my prayers!