Wednesday, May 21, 2008

PRIORITIES

A month ago, I told you I was going to talk about priorities in a minister's wife life. Since then, life has happened. I apologize for not following up. Some of my priorities kicked in and demanded my time. Can you relate to that situation?

I have spoken at three retreats, one women's meeting and am now sitting with my very ill friend. These things have kept me busy. I count it an honor to be used in each of these situations, yet it makes it difficult to keep up with everyday life.

As I shared with you earlier, I love my calling from God. I know His plan is best and that gives me peace in the middle of chaos.

One of the ways our family enjoyed ministry was by keeping priorities straight. My late husband, Doug was wonderful at doing this very thing. He was an example of putting God first - family second -job third. This is not easy to do with the demands of ministry. We as a family knew where we were in his priorities and therefore, never felt we had to compete with the ministry. As a result, Doug was free to serve as God called him and we were able to serve with him in joy!

It is sometimes difficult to distinguish God from job when you are serving in a church. There is often pressure from your congregation to switch those priorities. I can remember my middle son, Stephen, waking up one morning and saying to his dad, "Hey, where have you been? You have come home after I am in bed 3 nights in a row." That was all it took - Doug picked up the phone, called the school and church and relayed to both that he and Stephen would not be in that morning. Doug and Stephen took off for breakfast and a morning of fun together.

It is not easy to keep things in right order or perspective. Sometimes we have to stop and ask God for wisdom and even courage to follow His plan instead of the plans of others. Take time today to give God control of your walk. Don't allow the pressures of others to dictate your day, allow God to walk you through His plan. His plan is perfect, my plan is flawed, His plan has purpose, my plan has pressure, His plan brings joy, my plan brings stress.

Give God today and let Him set your priorities.

No comments: