Monday, May 5, 2008

Moving Again . . .

I should have known God was preparing me for a life of transition and change in both marriage and ministry from my very first weekend as a wife. Almost ten years ago, I rushed from my bridal tea to my college graduation and then made a mad dash to our wedding rehearsal. We returned from our honeymoon to move me into "our" first place, my new husband's duplex, three hours away. That was move #1 . . . Oh, and did I mention that all this took place at Christmas? It was all crazy to say the least!

Well, right now we find ourselves in the midst of move #6. We have moved across the state and across the country, but this one is a first. We are moving across town.

You would think that with 5 moves as a married lady (not counting 4 before I was married), that I would have this moving thing down pat - On the contrary, I am always looking for a better, easier, more time efficient way to get done what needs to be done.

So, I figured you, dear readers, may have a move or two under your belts. I mean most of us in ministry have moved at the very least a time or two. As a result, I couldn't think of anyone better to ask for moving advice or tips . . . I am talking about the very practical means of getting all our stuff from point A to point B without losing anything or anyone in the process . . . Got any ideas?

Please take a moment to respond. When you do, let me know how many times you've moved along with a tidbit or two to help take some of the stress out the transition of moving . . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok we have been married 13 years in July. We have moved 9 times in that time. That includes 4 states. So I think I have moving down. It is not one of my favorite things to do. But I take it as the chance to purge our house of things we don't need, or put another way, a chance to bless others with our abundance of stuff. The one thing I learned early was to make sure to label the boxes clearly with what is in them and what room they belong in. Don't mix rooms within the boxes. It will make your life easier. I remember a pastor's wife telling me that she decided on one move to pack all like things together and that she liked to never have found everything. Packing one room at a time and not mixing the boxes is a good thing.

But then that is just my two cents...