Thursday, May 29, 2008

Going Home

California is not “home” for me…my parents and two of my brothers moved here after I married…but I do have to admit, it is a GREAT place to visit!! Sunny days, mild temperatures, beaches, funky restaurants and lots of shopping!!

Two years ago I brought my daughter and 9 month old granddaughter with me to visit my parents. My mother had been suffering with broken bones sabotaged by the disease osteoporosis and had not been able to travel, so she had never met her great-granddaughter. One of her priorities while we were here was to get a 4-generation picture….which we did….all 4 of us piled on her bed!! I wish I had the picture here with me....I would have put it on this page!! (Aren't you glad I didn't??)

Her health deteriorated during the week we were here and I took on a new role—and to be honest, a role I had dreaded for years….to be her caregiver. My mother had always been a very strong woman and I knew it would be hard to see her suffer and in pain. It was a most difficult, emotional responsibility….and yet….I am so very thankful I was able to serve her in that manner. God provided me with much grace and I will never regret being able to take care of her.

I would go into one room and feed my granddaughter….and go into another room and feed my mother. I would go into one room and change my granddaughter’s diaper….and go into another room and change my mother’s diaper. I would go into one room and comfort my crying granddaughter….and go into another room and comfort my crying mother.....

Then, months later, and after many flights back and forth between Tennessee and California and after years and years of fervent praying for her to know my Jesus, she died….without Him. It is difficult to write about....talk about….think about. She wanted no funeral. No service of any kind. Her ashes are in a box that sits on a shelf in their house.

What do you do when you have people in your family or people you love who do not know your Jesus? How do you deal with the pain? The fear? The disappointment? The frustration? The anger? God is teaching me much….and perhaps I will share some of it with you later….but this I do know….the greatest gift you can give to those who love you is for them to KNOW you KNOW Jesus. Not that you know about Him….but that you know Him. Tell them your story.

Blessings to you….look forward to going home....your eternal home.

No comments: