Thursday, May 15, 2008

God Reveals Himself

One of my favorite walking spots is Bowie Park in Fairview, TN. There are miles of trails to explore and the peacefulness I discover there is very calming.


I first discovered this park when my husband and I moved here a couple of years ago. We were living in a rental condo, our boys did not move with us, our home in Arkansas was still for sale, financial stress was an everyday matter, and our aging parents were having health issues. After a morning for just worrying and eating my favorite comfort food-chocolate, I decided I needed to just get out and clear my head. It was the perfect time to hit the trails at the park across the highway.


Girls, I can tell you that God was on that walk with me that day. A light breeze was blowing, birds were singing, fish were jumping in the water, and deer would be so close to me I could almost touch them.


A few weeks later as the fall leaves were at their peak, I hit the trails for an early morning walk and prayed that God would reveal Himself to me. As I rounded one curve I literally had to stop and shield my eyes. The sunlight was piercing the tops of the trees and it looked as if the leaves were on fire. Their gold, orange, and red hues were beyond description. Soon my eyes adjusted to the sight and my mouth fell open. Across the trail for as far as I could see bright red leaves blanketed my path. It was as if God rolled out the red carpet of nature just for me that day. I felt the peace and assurance embracing me. I knew the Father had not forgotten His child. The only words that came from my mouth were "Thank you."


God reveals Himself to each of us in His own way. Sometimes He is in the smile of a child or He can be in the glory of nature. As I get older I appreciate nature more. I see God in the majesty of the mountains, feel Him in the gentle breeze, marvel at His vast love for me when I hear the ocean roar, and stand breathless on fall mornings when God paints the world in brillant hues and rolls the red carpet out just for me.


I challenge you today to begin to look for ways that God reveals Himeself to you.

No comments: