Saturday, May 17, 2008

Penning Petitions to Papa

I like to journal periodically. There are some journals that are full of my thoughts. Many of the words are penned prayers for my family. I can tell you that as a mom I put a lot of words on paper while eating tons of chocolate. (Both calm my nerves.) Today I was glancing through one such journal seeking some thoughts I had written for my youngest son, Bryan.


Bryan is my carefree child who also has a serious side. I believe God loaned him to us to make our life fun. As a child he was mischievous and loving. He is a big guy with the biggest heart I have ever seen. Bryan loves any sport that involves a ball. (By the way, his word was "ball.") One would think that preschoolers and children would be afraid of him, however, they are not. Instead, Bryan can plop down on the floor in a three-year-old Sunday School room and have kids crawling all over him in seconds. He was a way that connects with children so it makes him a natural to mentor inner city kids. Also, God has also open the door for Bryan to serve as a summer youth minister at a local church in his college town.


As I was reading through my journals, I read glimpes of my prayers for Bryan. I found one entry that I had written when he was sixteen and was out "cruising" in the city with friends. Chocolate and prayers were my best friend back then as it is now. I was wondering where my cuddly baby boy had gone, praying God would keep him safe, and that he might be a witness to those around him. I was also asking the Father to direct Bryan's path so that His purpose could be fulfilled.

I smile as I read these words. I can easily put a check mark by this prayer. Bryan is a sports management major but he has a love for kids as well. He is not afraid to share his faith either. I believe God is going to do great things in Bryan's life and allow him to be part of a great work for the Lord.

I will not stop journaling my prayers because they allow me to see them answered in time. I include my frustrations and hurts because I know God understands. I share my joys as well for they bring glory to the Father.
I encourage you to begin penning your petitions to Papa and watch when He will do.
You've kept track of my every toss and turn
through the sleepless nights,
Each tear entered in your ledger,
Each ache written in your book.
Psalms 56:8 The Message

No comments: